Hospital consultant all set for Rowcroft half marathon fundraiser
- Credit: Submitted
A Torbay Hospital consultant already has two sponsored cycle rides in aid of Rowcroft under his belt - now he's set for a half marathon to raise money for the hospice.
Dr Andrew Gunatilleke said: "I work closely with colleagues at Rowcroft Hospice, and see the huge difference they make to the quality of life for both patients and their family who are undergoing palliative care.
"All hospice care in this country is funded through charitable donations, and if we did not support them, the quality of care delivered in Torbay to patients and their families at the end of their life would be significantly less.
"As a result, I have undertaken two sponsored charity cycle rides so far in aid of Rowcroft, and next month I will attempt my first - and possibly last - half marathon.
"For me, this will be a big achievement. At school, I was one of the kids who knew every shortcut on the cross-country course, and until just under three years ago, the furthest I could run without stopping was a few hundred yards.
"Since then I have slowly built up the distance I could run, and in December 2019 ran my first ever 10K.
"Last December I decided to enter the Coast to Coast Copper Trail Run in Cornwall which covers a distance of 11.75 miles over an old train track.
- 1 Five new business units planned in coach station overhaul
- 2 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 3 Paul Jolly: Smart motorway common sense
- 4 Flower meadows get Bay buzzing
- 5 Rowing: GB rower is guest of honour at presentation night
- 6 Gulls start Trophy journey in Tonbridge
- 7 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 8 Coastwatch and disabled sailors team up to ensure safe sailing
- 9 Our nights of darts, pool and the birth of Torbay's 'ghostbusters'
- 10 Have a fiver off a Christmas tree at Marldon
"As I do not plan to run this distance again, I will extend the run to half marathon length. The run was supposed to be held in early February but has been delayed until Saturday, May 8.
"I have run over 170 miles in training for this so far, and hope to get in two 10-mile runs in the next fortnight.
"The runs have mostly been in the morning and the weather has often not been very pleasant!"
To sponsor Andrew, log on to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/andrew-gunatilleke1