Distiller's delight with coveted award for Deck Chair Gin
- Credit: Devon Coast Distillery
Brixham-based Deck Chair Gin has won a coveted industry award.
The London Dry Gin produced by Andrew Penrose and Matthew Collins of Devon Coast Distillery was awarded silver in the 2021 World Gin Awards.
This latest accolade follows two years of receiving silver in the International Wine and Spirits Competition which annually receives nominations from over 90 countries worldwide.
Locally, they have also received silver in The Taste of The West Awards.
Launched eight years ago, the World Gin Awards commend the best gins in 11 categories covering style and production methods.
The first round of blind tastings is judged by independent spirits experts.
From their scores, a winner is selected for each category and country, and gold, silver and bronze medals awarded.
- 1 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 2 Inside Oldway Mansion and a journey through its history
- 3 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 4 Hero awards finalist Chris has that spark which makes him extra special!
- 5 Torquay United ladies book cup final date with City
- 6 Battle and race against time is on to awaken the sleeping giant that is Oldway
- 7 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 8 Mark takes over at helm as Teignbridge Propellers invest in future
- 9 Dementia and Covid - the unknown figures
- 10 Are hi-tech companies missing a trick as they look to recruit staff?
Each country winner then competes in round two for the title of world’s best in each category.
Devon Coast Distillery was launched in 2019 and, following the success of their signature dry gin, they have recently introduced Deck Chair Fruit Infusions, which are made using fresh fruit as an additional botanical in a ‘single shot’ distillation process - nothing is added post distillation - to create a three-dimensional London dry gin with a delicate fruity aroma and subtle fruity aftertaste.
Distiller Andrew Penrose said: "The last 12 months have been challenging for all small producers. However, it has provided the opportunity to review processes, work on new products and explore new markets and sales streams.
"We are delighted that our gin has been recognised for this award from among some 800 entrants to the competition.
"Given the ever-growing number of really good small batch gins that are entering the market, we are proud that Deck Chair Gin has been successful in winning awards again this year."