Distiller's delight with coveted award for Deck Chair Gin
- Credit: Devon Coast Distillery
Brixham-based Deck Chair Gin has won a coveted industry award.
The London Dry Gin produced by Andrew Penrose and Matthew Collins of Devon Coast Distillery was awarded silver in the 2021 World Gin Awards.
This latest accolade follows two years of receiving silver in the International Wine and Spirits Competition which annually receives nominations from over 90 countries worldwide.
Locally, they have also received silver in The Taste of The West Awards.
Launched eight years ago, the World Gin Awards commend the best gins in 11 categories covering style and production methods.
The first round of blind tastings is judged by independent spirits experts.
From their scores, a winner is selected for each category and country, and gold, silver and bronze medals awarded.
- 1 £15,000 'compensation' as Nemane leaves Torquay United
- 2 Nemane to Notts
- 3 First friendly for Torquay United
- 4 'Golden opportunity' awaits Bay - but we need to get people back into work
- 5 'Why we just love being part of Team Beverley'
- 6 Determination and talent... wracked by injuries, Gulls refused to go under
- 7 Expert advice proved to be icing on cake for cafe sisters Abi and Finola
- 8 Pro deals for United Academy stars
- 9 Famous Redcliffe Hotel sold for £4.5 million
- 10 Amazing day of transfers at Torquay United
Each country winner then competes in round two for the title of world’s best in each category.
Devon Coast Distillery was launched in 2019 and, following the success of their signature dry gin, they have recently introduced Deck Chair Fruit Infusions, which are made using fresh fruit as an additional botanical in a ‘single shot’ distillation process - nothing is added post distillation - to create a three-dimensional London dry gin with a delicate fruity aroma and subtle fruity aftertaste.
Distiller Andrew Penrose said: "The last 12 months have been challenging for all small producers. However, it has provided the opportunity to review processes, work on new products and explore new markets and sales streams.
"We are delighted that our gin has been recognised for this award from among some 800 entrants to the competition.
"Given the ever-growing number of really good small batch gins that are entering the market, we are proud that Deck Chair Gin has been successful in winning awards again this year."