Distiller's delight with coveted award for Deck Chair Gin
- Credit: Devon Coast Distillery
Brixham-based Deck Chair Gin has won a coveted industry award.
The London Dry Gin produced by Andrew Penrose and Matthew Collins of Devon Coast Distillery was awarded silver in the 2021 World Gin Awards.
This latest accolade follows two years of receiving silver in the International Wine and Spirits Competition which annually receives nominations from over 90 countries worldwide.
Locally, they have also received silver in The Taste of The West Awards.
Launched eight years ago, the World Gin Awards commend the best gins in 11 categories covering style and production methods.
The first round of blind tastings is judged by independent spirits experts.
From their scores, a winner is selected for each category and country, and gold, silver and bronze medals awarded.
- 1 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 2 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 3 Turning our season around
- 4 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 5 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 6 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 7 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 8 Blooming marvellous Torbay winners
- 9 We're in danger of some domestic competitions becoming obsolete
- 10 Paignton pub The Isaac Merritt to go up for auction
Each country winner then competes in round two for the title of world’s best in each category.
Devon Coast Distillery was launched in 2019 and, following the success of their signature dry gin, they have recently introduced Deck Chair Fruit Infusions, which are made using fresh fruit as an additional botanical in a ‘single shot’ distillation process - nothing is added post distillation - to create a three-dimensional London dry gin with a delicate fruity aroma and subtle fruity aftertaste.
Distiller Andrew Penrose said: "The last 12 months have been challenging for all small producers. However, it has provided the opportunity to review processes, work on new products and explore new markets and sales streams.
"We are delighted that our gin has been recognised for this award from among some 800 entrants to the competition.
"Given the ever-growing number of really good small batch gins that are entering the market, we are proud that Deck Chair Gin has been successful in winning awards again this year."