'Get NHS advice quickly ahead of winter like no other’
- Credit: Devon NHS
The NHS in Devon is encouraging local people to use NHS 111 online to get urgent medical advice quickly as we enter what England’s top doctor says will be a ‘winter like no other’.
Patients should continue to come forward for care and are still being encouraged to speak to a pharmacist, GP or call 111 if they need urgent advice.
NHS 111 online can direct patients to urgent treatment centres and walk in clinics, GP surgeries, pharmacies and emergency dental services and, if needed, a call from a healthcare professional.
Dafydd Jones, NHS Devon’s Strategic Clinical Lead for Urgent Care for said: "If you need urgent care but it’s not life-threatening, visit 111 online first - we'll put you in touch with a healthcare professional if needed and help you get the treatment you need.
“And it remains as important as ever to get your life-saving Covid jab, and with winter approaching, it is important to get your flu jab too if you are eligible.”
With more people predicted to suffer from flu this year and hospitals already treating an increased number of Covid-19 patients, NHS 111 online offers an alternative way to get immediate medical advice.
Professor Stephen Powis, NHS national medical director, said: "As we approach an extremely tough winter like no other, using NHS 111 online first will ensure everyone who needs medical advice can access it quickly and conveniently, alongside other services, while allowing us to care for the most seriously ill and injured patients in our A&Es.”
- 1 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
- 2 Retro Sport: Whatever the temptation, the sanctity of cricket is paramount
- 3 Nurturing the Plainmoor pitch
- 4 Ray of success for Chris after years of trying
- 5 Remembering our loved ones this Christmas
- 6 Working hard to ensure success of fishing industry in Brixham
- 7 Picture special: Views from across Torbay
- 8 Brilliant Buckland advance in the FA Vase
- 9 Go ahead for climbing attraction at old RICC tennis courts
- 10 National Lottery funding for Torre Abbey to help break down barriers to heritage
People can use the online 111 service for a range of reasons, including to check their symptoms and if an injury or illness requires further investigation, to get information on mental health support services available, or to seek advice on how to take a medication.
And find a pharmacy near you offering the NHS flu vaccine online
Details of walk-in clinics are being regularly shared on NHS Devon CCG’s social media pages. Appointments can be booked via the National Booking System