Demi Keenan Interiors employs a Kickstart superstar
- Credit: Poppy Jakes Photography
A Torbay-based interior design company struck gold after employing junior interior designer Siani Schofield through the Government-backed Kickstart scheme.
The scheme, which provides funding to employers to create jobs for 16-to-24 year olds on Universal Credit, helped small business owner Demi to grow her business significantly while helping Siani to gain valuable experience in her dream career at the same time.
Siani Schofield joined Demi Keenan Interiors in Torbay after graduating with a degree in interior design from UWE Bristol.
Initially, Siani was anxious about the prospect of finding a career in her chosen industry away from a city.
She said: “I thought that I would have to stay in Bristol or move to London to find my dream job but thanks to the Kickstart scheme, I’ve been able to move back home, join Demi’s team and I’ve learned so much about interior design.
"Demi has been the most incredible mentor and I am forever grateful for this opportunity. She’s made me love Mondays again!”
Demi said: “The Kickstart programme helped me immensely as it gave me the confidence to recruit Siani with the additional help making it feel more stable my end.
- 1 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Sally Allen: When is a woman not a woman?
- 4 Basketball: Torbay Tigers back to winning ways
- 5 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 6 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 7 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 8 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 9 Retro Sport: Lottery winner's cricket ambition that money couldn't buy
- 10 Artist William comes out from 'hiding' for exhibition
"I didn't realise how much I needed and really appreciated an assistant/junior designer working with me and how much I needed that help.
"Siani is the best thing that happened to my business and I will find it so hard and very sad when the scheme comes to an end.
"However, I hope as much as she has helped me that I have equally helped her by giving her the training and work experience on some fab projects we have worked together on that she needs to go and fly in this world.
"Being such a talented, creative and enthusiastic person, I know she will certainly spread her wings and go far!”
TDA has supported Demi with ongoing business support which has been enabled by the European Regional Development Fund - Enterprise Coaching Project, which provides fully-funded business support to businesses in Torbay through one-to-one sessions and workshops.
To find out more about the support contact email@example.com or call 07824 889 100.