Thomas and Stargazer fly flag for Dartmoor ponies
- Credit: Submitted
Two Dartmoor ponies will have a new home at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo in Bedfordshire where visitors will be able to see them at the UK’s largest Zoo.
The yearling geldings, Thomas and Stargazer, will be flying the flag for Dartmoor ponies which are classified as endangered by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust.
They were bred by Tim Whitley and his family at Hedgebarton Farm near Widecombe-in-the-Moor and ran as part of a herd which lives on common ground close to Hound Tor, renowned for its association with the famous Sherlock Holmes story The Hound of the Baskervilles.
Dru Butterfield, co-founder of the Dartmoor Pony Heritage Trust, was instrumental in securing the move of the ponies, ensuring the Dartmoor breed has its place in the spotlight at the UK’s largest zoo.
Dru said: “We are thrilled to have these ponies going to the zoo to promote the wonderful temperaments of hardy Dartmoor ponies and to showcase them to a huge audience.”
The Whitley’s have a herd of 11 grey mares which breed a crop of foals each year. This year four mares will be going into the Dartmoor Pony Moorland Scheme as foundation mares for a breeding up programme. Their progeny will eventually be given full pedigree status by the Dartmoor Pony Society ensuring they retain the strength and vigour for which Dartmoors are renowned.
Prior to the ponies arriving at the zoo this week, they were handled by Mr Whitley’s family with additional help from Dru who said. “We made sure they were desensitised, the family took them for walks, groomed them all over and picked out their hooves. They are super quality ponies. It will be wonderful for us to watch their progress alongside other rare breeds at Whipsnade and we’ll be keeping in touch with them for regular updates.”
- 1 Havant & Waterlooville 4 Torquay United 2
- 2 Gary Johnson: "Our travelling fans were let down"
- 3 New signings on their way despite win
- 4 Torbay Triathlon Club's bumper results amid bumpy weather
- 5 Power lift for MND awareness raises over £13k
- 6 Double celebration as South Devon College awards own degrees for first time
- 7 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 8 United Community Day - it's a 'sell-out'
- 9 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 10 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
Animal Manager Matt Webb said: “We are delighted to be welcoming these two Dartmoor ponies to Hullabazoo Farm at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, where so many children and families will be able to watch and enjoy them.”