Torbay’s first School Street scheme helps with social distancing
- Credit: Archant
Curledge Street Academy in Paignton is the first school in Torbay to benefit from the School Street scheme.
With school buildings on both sides of the road and narrow pavements, Torbay Council’s highways and transport teams were asked to consider under the academy’s ‘back to school’ risk assessment, the option of using the carriageway area for pedestrians, and banning vehicles during certain parts of the day to assist with social distancing at school drop-off and pick-up times.
With effect from last Monday, a traffic regulation order was put in place to prevent vehicles entering Curledge Street from Mid Vale Road between 8.30am and 9.30am and 2.30pm and 3.30pm.
A School Street is a road outside a school with a temporary restriction on motorised traffic at school drop-off and pick-up times. The restriction applies to school traffic and through traffic. The result is a safer, healthier and pleasant environment for all.
The restrictions do not prevent vehicles from entering Curledge Street from anywhere to the west of the school and exiting via Fisher Street.
Councillor Cordelia Law, Cabinet member for children’s servies on Torbay Council, said: “Our highways and transport teams have been working with local education providers on their plans to get all pupils back to school safely this September.
“We have been investigating School Street schemes for some time, with a view to implementing some in the future.
- 1 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 2 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 3 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 4 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 5 Norrms McNamara: All care staff need to be trained in dementia
- 6 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 7 All go at Rotary club with new president, vaccines, golf and a chicken run!
- 8 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 9 Indoor bowls: 'A' team win all four rinks
- 10 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
“As a result of a request by Curledge Street Academy and Covid-19, we were asked to consider implementing the scheme sooner rather than later.
“The introduction of this School Street will be the first of its kind within Torbay, with more sites also under consideration.”
Signs notifying pedestrians and motorists will be in place during the road closure times.
School Streets are also being considered at Furzeham Primary and Nursery School and Roselands Primary School, both in Paignton.
To ensure the safety of school pupils, all parents and carers are reminded to park safely and legally.