Torbay’s first School Street scheme helps with social distancing
- Credit: Archant
Curledge Street Academy in Paignton is the first school in Torbay to benefit from the School Street scheme.
With school buildings on both sides of the road and narrow pavements, Torbay Council’s highways and transport teams were asked to consider under the academy’s ‘back to school’ risk assessment, the option of using the carriageway area for pedestrians, and banning vehicles during certain parts of the day to assist with social distancing at school drop-off and pick-up times.
With effect from last Monday, a traffic regulation order was put in place to prevent vehicles entering Curledge Street from Mid Vale Road between 8.30am and 9.30am and 2.30pm and 3.30pm.
A School Street is a road outside a school with a temporary restriction on motorised traffic at school drop-off and pick-up times. The restriction applies to school traffic and through traffic. The result is a safer, healthier and pleasant environment for all.
The restrictions do not prevent vehicles from entering Curledge Street from anywhere to the west of the school and exiting via Fisher Street.
Councillor Cordelia Law, Cabinet member for children’s servies on Torbay Council, said: “Our highways and transport teams have been working with local education providers on their plans to get all pupils back to school safely this September.
“We have been investigating School Street schemes for some time, with a view to implementing some in the future.
- 1 Gary's respect for Martyn Rogers
- 2 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 3 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 4 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 5 Laura will use Equity role to change attitudes about regional theatre
- 6 Argyle sharpness defeats United
- 7 Regency-style terrace was leased to the rich and famous
- 8 United heading into the future
- 9 Pre-season fundraiser in memory of footballers Kyle and Hayden
- 10 Busy time in the transfer market
“As a result of a request by Curledge Street Academy and Covid-19, we were asked to consider implementing the scheme sooner rather than later.
“The introduction of this School Street will be the first of its kind within Torbay, with more sites also under consideration.”
Signs notifying pedestrians and motorists will be in place during the road closure times.
School Streets are also being considered at Furzeham Primary and Nursery School and Roselands Primary School, both in Paignton.
To ensure the safety of school pupils, all parents and carers are reminded to park safely and legally.