Cultural funding boost for Bay attractions
- Credit: Babbacombe Theatre
Iconic cultural and heritage organisations in Torquay and Paignton will receive £273,765 as they reopen and recover from coronavirus.
The four groups in Torquay and Paignton set to benefit from this funding are:
- Jazz Hands CIC at Palace Theatre, Paignton £28,070
- The Foundry, Torquay, £85,000
- Babbacombe Theatre £79,195
- Kents Cavern £81,500.
This is part of the £400 million in grants and loans being delivered to more than 2,700 organisations across England, to help cultural and heritage organisations reopen and thrive in the better times ahead.
Torbay MP Kevin Foster has welcomed the announcement. He said: “The Palace Theatre, Babbacombe Theatre, The Foundry and Kent’s Cavern are much-loved and enjoyed parts of the cultural landscape of our Bay and a part of what makes us the English Riviera.
"Each has its own unique appeal and like many others across Torbay I look forward to being able to enjoy a gig, show or tour at them when they re-open thanks to this funding.”
A spokesperson for Babbacombe Theatre said: "We are delighted to hear we have received funding this time around and we are grateful to the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund so that we can continue to be here throughout 2021, our 35th anniversary season, 2022 and beyond!
- 1 Latest twist in the National League race
- 2 Vince to lead way for Devon tourism
- 3 'Earring aid' pair are inspiring sister act!
- 4 Alfresco touch to eating down on the farm
- 5 Dean and pals sign up for toughest row across Atlantic
- 6 Captain Asa 'would give anything' to lead Gulls to promotion
- 7 Why you should neuter your cat - male or female
- 8 Fish of the month competition has a winner
- 9 I'd like to thank the people of Paignton for backing Cat
- 10 Fans can return to Plainmoor
"Not long to wait for live entertainment to be back on the Babbacombe stage - see SuperStars 2021 from Tuesday, May 18. The box office will re-open for bookings from Monday, May 10."
A Palace Theatre spokesperson said: "We’re over the moon to receive this support as we prepare ourselves to reopen, entertain, engage and enjoy still being here."
This latest funding brings the Government's total investment across grants, capital and repayable finance from the Culture Recovery Fund so far to more than £1.2 billion across over 5,000 individual cultural and heritage organisations and sites.
Almost all of the original £1.57 billion Culture Recovery Fund has now been allocated, and the Chancellor announced a further £300 million boost for the fund at last month’s Budget, taking direct Government investment in the sector since the start of the pandemic to almost £2 billion.