Council investing £2.5m in Paignton holiday park
- Credit: Google Maps
Torbay Council is to make a multi-million investment in a holiday park it owns at Paignton.
The upgrade at Waterside Holiday Park off Dartmouth Road will pay for a new indoor pool and six lodges.
The council’s Cabinet approved an investment of up to £2.5million at the site that is operated by Park Holidays UK Ltd on a 99-year lease, which began in 2002.
Cabinet member for economic regeneration Swithin Long said: “Improved facilities will help attract repeat visitors, it is a real opportunity.”
Deputy council leader Darren Cowell said some of the facilities at the park were 'a little bit dated'.
Liam Montgomery, director of asset management, investment and housing of TDA, the council’s economic development company, said the local authority was the freehold owner of the site.
The proposed deal would see the lease extended and the rent increased, which would cover the council’s costs and generate a small return.
- 1 Tiverton Town 1 Torquay United 3
- 2 Gary's respect for Martyn Rogers
- 3 Gary Johnson reaction to Tiverton win
- 4 Asian hornet pays a visit to Devon Hills
- 5 The little door behind the main stand
- 6 £1,800 for four good causes as Foster’s Fund pays out
- 7 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 8 Walk down to secluded cove is rich with wildlife and flowers
- 9 £10m underspend will 'help prepare council for summer'
- 10 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
He said the council would effectively be investing in its own asset with better facilities to support tourism and the local economy.
A report to the meeting said the holiday company paid £147,700 in annual rent, linked to the retail price index, with a five-yearly review next due in 2021.
The company asked for the investment to improve facilities and has offered to pay additional rent of £120,000 a year, index linked after 10 years.
The report said a new lease agreement would cover the arrangements and the company would need planning permission for the development.