Council confirms funding support for bus services
- Credit: Archant
Torbay Council has been able to invest £150,000 in subsidies for local bus services - thanks to a £4million underspend in children’s services in this current financial year.
Last March, the council gave support to Country Bus to enable them to operate their bus routes 15 and 16 until March 31.
At the Cabinet meeting on February 11, members confirmed a £150,000 investment into subsidising local bus services, with support again being confirmed for Country Bus, allowing them to maintain key services until March 31, 2022.
The council is also currently in discussions regarding Torquay route 61, operated by Torbay Community Development Trust, and the former route 65 with a view to supporting these routes for a period of six months, until the results of a Bay-wide passenger needs assessment is known and can be acted upon.
Cllr Mike Morey, Cabinet member for infrastructure, environment and culture on Torbay Council, said: "We know that the future of Brixham bus routes 15 and 16 has been a source of concern for many local residents, and that’s why we are delighted to be able to guarantee the service for another 12 months to ensure no resident is left feeling cut off or isolated.”
Brixham town councillor David Giles said: “A lot of Brixham residents rely on these bus services and use them on a regular basis, especially in the more hilly areas of the town.
"It’s important no one feels cut off and we’re extremely pleased Torbay Council have given their commitment to keeping these services going.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 3 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 4 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 5 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 6 United visit Woking tonight
- 7 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 8 Overseas players set to boost clubs' promotion bids
- 9 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
- 10 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
"Brixham Town Council and its partners will continue to work together to deliver a sustainable solution beyond March 2022.”