Concerns over council ‘undercutting campsites’ with £4 overnight seafront parking
- Credit: Archant
A senior councillor has raised concerns that camper vans are parking overnight on Paignton seafront for just £4 – undercutting campsites.
That is the cost of the roadside parking fee collected by Torbay Council on the Esplanade which runs along the seafront.
The issue was raised by Preston councillor Chris Lewis, the Conservative former chairman of the council's overview and scrutiny board.
He said: 'This administration allows motor homes to park on Paignton seafront for £4 a night, thereby undercutting campsites and other establishments that previously had motor homes.'
He asked Swithin Long, Liberal Democrat Cabinet member for tourism, whether he believed it was right for the council to undercut the private sector.
Cllr Long said there had been no change to the cost of parking on the stretch of the seafront.
But the lack of events due to the coronavirus pandemic had meant the road had not been closed as in previous years.
- 1 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 2 Relentless from Torquay United
- 3 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 4 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 5 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 6 United visit Woking tonight
- 7 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 8 Overseas players set to boost clubs' promotion bids
- 9 Four to battle in Bay by-election
- 10 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
He said the issue had been raised in discussions between the council and holiday parks.
The Cabinet member said officers were working on proposals to address the situation.