Concerns over council ‘undercutting campsites’ with £4 overnight seafront parking
- Credit: Archant
A senior councillor has raised concerns that camper vans are parking overnight on Paignton seafront for just £4 – undercutting campsites.
That is the cost of the roadside parking fee collected by Torbay Council on the Esplanade which runs along the seafront.
The issue was raised by Preston councillor Chris Lewis, the Conservative former chairman of the council's overview and scrutiny board.
He said: 'This administration allows motor homes to park on Paignton seafront for £4 a night, thereby undercutting campsites and other establishments that previously had motor homes.'
He asked Swithin Long, Liberal Democrat Cabinet member for tourism, whether he believed it was right for the council to undercut the private sector.
Cllr Long said there had been no change to the cost of parking on the stretch of the seafront.
But the lack of events due to the coronavirus pandemic had meant the road had not been closed as in previous years.
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
He said the issue had been raised in discussions between the council and holiday parks.
The Cabinet member said officers were working on proposals to address the situation.