Community bus service back on road in Torquay
- Credit: Submitted
A community bus service for Torquay linking Marks and Spencer to the town centre is back on the road.
The 65 route restarted on Tuesday (April 27) from The Willows through Hele, St Marychurch, Babbacombe and Plainmoor to Market Street.
The service, which was suspended in December 2018, will run on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday between 9am and 5pm.
The route, operated by Torbay Community Development Trust, will receive financial support up to the end of March 2022 from Torbay Council as part of £150,000 investment in local bus services.
Cllr Mike Morey, Torbay Council’s Cabinet member for infrastructure, said: “We recognise it has been a concern for some time now. It was one of the main routes that we were looking at re-establishing.”
Ellacombe councillor Jermaine Atiya-Alla said: “This is great news. Residents have been asking for the bus service back.”
The council is unable to give a longer financial commitment because of uncertainty over future central government funding for local authorities.
- 1 Latest twist in the National League race
- 2 Vince to lead way for Devon tourism
- 3 'Earring aid' pair are inspiring sister act!
- 4 Alfresco touch to eating down on the farm
- 5 Dean and pals sign up for toughest row across Atlantic
- 6 Captain Asa 'would give anything' to lead Gulls to promotion
- 7 Why you should neuter your cat - male or female
- 8 I'd like to thank the people of Paignton for backing Cat
- 9 Fish of the month competition has a winner
- 10 Fans can return to Plainmoor
Torbay MP Kevin Foster said: “I understand concessionary bus passes will be accepted on the service, with other passengers able to pay a fare for their journey.
“I am pleased the funding provided by the Government to our local council has allowed this increased support for local transport services.”
The trust already runs the 61 Our Bus service from Livermead to the town centre.
The council earlier agreed funding for the current financial year for bus routes 15 and 16 in Brixham, linking Summercourt and Higher Brixham to the town centre.
A timetable has been published with the route and timings.