Collective effort earns Torbay Community Coronavirus Helpline workers a ‘Our Heroes’ nomination
- Credit: Archant
The Torbay Community Coronavirus Helpline is a collective effort, on behalf of charities and the voluntary sector across Torbay, on a scale never seen before.
Torbay Community Development Trust, Brixham Does Care, Age UK Torbay, Healthwatch Torbay, Ageing Well Torbay, Citizens Advice Torbay, the Torbay Advice Network, Homemaker Southwest and What's Your Problem, among others, are working alongside Torbay Council and the Torbay and South Devon NHS Trust.
And now all who have been working so very hard with the Torbay Community Coronavirus Helpline have bene nominated for a Torbay Weekly 'Our Heroes' Award.
From manning the phones to behind-the-scenes roles matching volunteers with where the help is needed, the helpline workers have worked tirelessly since a week before lockdown and have so far handled just shy of 7,000 calls. They have staffed the helplines from 8am to 8pm, seven days a week on 01803 446022 and 01803 857727.
They have responded to more than 1,000 emergencies where people had run out of food or often life-saving medications.
They have ensured that more than 750 people in need of help have been put in touch with volunteers who are able to offer that help.
They are providing the support that the most vulnerable need – in addition to shopping and prescription collections, they are also helping out with gardening, dog walking and making telephone calls to make sure no-one remains isolated.
- 1 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 2 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 3 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 4 NL suspension is out of the question
- 5 Gulls going for 'double' after transfer signings
- 6 Midfield decisions for Torquay United
- 7 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 8 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 9 Widow Joan, 87, tells anti-vaxxers: 'Don't be silly'
- 10 Decision time for National League clubs
They have also provided information and support via the Torbayhelphub.com and the Healthwatch Torbay webpages where all the latest trusted information and advice is posted, including national guidance, health advice, finance support, wellbeing and mental health help, plus links for children and young people and bereavement services.
The helpline is a collective that is truly worthy of a Torbay Weekly 'Our Heroes' award.