'Help protect our famous coastal path' plea
- Credit: George Hiles
Businesses have been showing their support for the region’s world-famous hiking trail, the South West Coast Path, as the charity which looks after it braces for a turbulent storm season.
South West Water, Forthglade Natural Pet Food, and industry body The South West Business Council, are backing the Coast Path in a campaign to protect it from increasing extreme weather. The support comes as the winter storms begin taking their toll on the National Trail.
The South West Coast Path Association has been appealing for donations to its Every Mile Matters campaign to help protect the 630-mile-long Path.
The Coast Path provides health-giving happiness to over nine million people every year and adds over £500 million to the region’s economy. The Trail has remained open during the pandemic and connects hundreds of coastal communities.
Wrapping its way around the entire coastline of the South West it is one of our most precious wildlife corridors. Yet its long-term future is at threat due to under funding and coastal erosion caused by climate change.
Julian Gray, Director of the South West Coast Path Association said “The lockdown has shown how important the Coast Path is for people’s health and wellbeing and the local economy. It’s great to see businesses stepping up to support the Coast Path to ensure it’s there for future generations.”
Tim Jones, Chairman of the South West Business Council said “The South West Coast Path Association are front runners in ensuring that the challenges we now face regarding physical and mental fitness can be tackled. The National Trail is a huge asset which too many within the region have not fully appreciated - Covid-19 has lifted the lid on the need for healthier communities and healthier businesses. Damage to the footpath over the winter requires constant effort to repair, and with climate change the level of damage will only increase.”
- 1 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 2 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 3 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 4 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 5 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 6 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 7 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 8 Paignton pub The Isaac Merritt to go up for auction
- 9 Stoppage-time goal books Torquay United under-18s a place in FA Youth Cup first round
- 10 Chloe Pavely: Mixed bag of emotions with end of season in sight
Through Every Mile Matters, the team at the SWCPA are aiming to raise £100,000 to help protect the South West Coast Path.
Businesses can find out about campaign sponsorship opportunities by contacting the SWCPA Fundraising Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org