Plea to help Bay lift council of year title
- Credit: Submitted
We need your vote.
That's the plea from Torbay Council who are in line for a top national award but they need residents to vote for them.
The council have been shortlisted for the prestigious Co-op Council of the Year Award after being recognised as being a Co-operative Council for their work in supporting those who were experiencing food poverty during the pandemic.
Voting closes on Tuesday June 1 so there is still time to cast a vote and show support for the collective and joined up work of the council and the community of Torbay.
Council leader Steve Darling, said: “We are committed to being a Co-operative Council and are constantly looking at how we can work with our community to improve our area and their lives. A way we did this last year, and what has led to us being shortlisted for this award, was by providing support of the Torbay Food Alliance to recognise their incredible efforts of providing food to those that needed it.
“We now want to build on this, and we are doing it by developing a strategic food partnership, but we don’t want to stop there. A co-operative Council is one who is committed to finding better ways of working for, and with, local people for the benefit of their local community. Examples of where are looking at doing this includes our work with our community to expand the Torbay Community Helpline and bring it to our work with improving access to Adult Social Care and our plans for Early Help hubs within Children’s Services.
“After the last year we have all had we would be proud to take home this award. The winners will be decided by a public vote, and this is where we need your help."
- 1 Turning our season around
- 2 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 3 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 4 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 5 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 6 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 7 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 8 Blooming marvellous Torbay winners
- 9 We're in danger of some domestic competitions becoming obsolete
- 10 Paignton pub The Isaac Merritt to go up for auction
The Co-op of the Year Awards 2021 are organised by Co-operatives UK – the network for Britain’s thousands of co-operative businesses – and sponsored by The Co-operative Bank. Torbay has been shortlisted in the Council of the Year category.
To vote go to www.uk.coop/vote. The winners will be announced on 5 July 2021.