Christmas cheer for Torbay’s town centre shoppers and shops
- Credit: Archant
Car parking charges are being reduced in Torbay to give Christmas shoppers – and the shops – a seasonal boost.
Fees are being cut at nominated council car parks from Thursday December 3 with people able to ‘pay for an hour, stay for a day’.
Last year a similar offer was only available on Sundays. This year it will cover every trading day from December 3 up to and including Christmas Eve.
The initiative is in response to research conducted by TDA on how to support local High Streets.
Steve Darling, Leader of the Council, said: “It has never been more important for us to support our local businesses. We really hope that Torbay will come out of restrictions at the start of December so people can shop local.
“With that in mind, we plan to expand our Christmas parking offer so we make it cheaper for people to shop at quieter times of the week. It also allows people to visit without watching the clock.”
Cllr Mike Morey, Cabinet Member for Infrastructure, Environment and Culture, said: “Earlier this year, TDA found that around 40 per cent of High Street businesses in the Bay did not then have a website so were dependent on customers visiting in person. We want to make space so we can keep our High Streets safe, so we’ve expanded the parking scheme to help people spread out their visits.”
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 3 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 4 Cyclists off to Scotland in support of 'super vet' star
- 5 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 6 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 7 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 8 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 9 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 10 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
Until restrictions are lifted, people should stay at home except for the specific purposes allowed in the national guidance.
The discounts will be at Torquay - Lower Union Lane and Union Square; Paignton - Victoria Multi Storey; Brixham – Freshwater and Oxen Cove.
The fee of £1.40 will cover parking from arrival until midnight the same day.
For people using Brixham Central, the £1.40 fee will allow for up to the maximum stay of 3 hours which would normally cost up to £3.50.
The usual free street parking will still apply in Torquay and Paignton on Sundays in December on the following roads: Torquay – Magdalene Road, Lymington Road, Castle Road, Union Street, Babbacombe Road; Paignton – Palace Avenue.