Changes to Torbay recycling and rubbish collections
- Credit: Archant
Among the changes to everyday life that we have to make during the Covid- 19 crisis is how we dispose of and recycle our rubbish.
Services in Torbay will be changing during the Coronavirus outbreak, in line with national government and public health guidance.
There are also a number of changes we can and need to make at home with immediate effect to help reduce the spread of the Covid 19 virus.
Importantly residents are being asked to keep items such as used tissues separate from all their other waste to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Household waste and recycling collections are expected to continue as normal and remain a priority service for Torbay Council.
However, at the same time it has been confirmed the Household Waste Recycling Centre at Tor Park Road, Paignton, has been closed in order to observe the latest social distancing guidelines.
Special advice has been issued for those who have coronavirus or suspected coronavirus on how personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths should be stored securely inside their own disposable rubbish bags.
- 1 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 2 United heading into the future
- 3 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 4 Princess curtain to rise after 509 days in the darkness
- 5 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
- 6 Majestic opportunities for a new career choice
- 7 Gulls delighted with first crowd of the summer
- 8 Praise for Sonny after he plays key role in senior debut for Somerset
- 9 'Pinged' Gulls trio out of action
- 10 Spacious, family home in ideal location close to schools, shops and beaches
The advice is that these bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste.
These bags should then be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin. It is believed this will greatly reduce the risk of spreading the infection.
Please remember to also wash your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds with soap and water and/or hand sanitiser after you have disposed of each item.
Torbay Council says all other household waste can be disposed of as normal until advised otherwise.
More information is available on the Let's Recycle website – https://www.letsrecycle.com
Waste and recycling collections are expected to continue as normal during the coronavirus outbreak.
At present Torbay Council's plan is that they will prioritise household waste collections over other services but say this will need to reviewed as the situation develops.
More information on what goes in your household bins and recycling boxes is at https://www.torbay.gov.uk/recycling.