Cheers! Brewery backs Paignton Zoo appeal
- Credit: Archant
Bays Brewery know what it is like trading in a pandemic so they are fully behind Paignton Zoo in its battle for survival
Well-known Torbay company Bays Brewery are backing Paignton Zoo in its battle for survival.
The Torbay Weekly has launched a Save Our Zoo campaign after the recent pandemic lockdown financially crippled the zoo putting its very future at risk.
For many years, Bays Brewery have been proud supporters of the Zoo, producing beers themed around the animals and a recent online campaign to 'Save our Zoo' reached over 250,000 people.
'We have been a long-time supporter of Paignton Zoo and its conservation projects,' said Peter Salmon from Bays Brewery.' Since 2013, we have worked closely with the team at the Zoo and produced a number of different ales named after different endangered species.
'Our partnership has raised over £25,000, with beers themed around rhinos, giraffes, gorillas, crocodiles, elephants and orangutans.
'Recently, during Covid, we launched a Facebook campaign to 'Save our Zoo' – the post reached over 250,000 people and helped generate a number of generous donations online.
- 1 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 2 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 3 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 4 Plans for more than 1,000 homes in new 'mini-town' get green light
- 5 Perfect ending to memorable match
- 6 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 7 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 8 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 9 Five things from Torquay United's weekend
- 10 Amazing response from the Yellow Army
'We are extremely proud of our partnership and look forward to working with the great team at the Zoo for many years to come.'
The support Bays Brewery have shown for the Zoo is a massive help to an iconic attraction and particularly inspiring to see from another local business which also had to overcome a unique set of hurdles through the Pandemic.
'Lockdown has undoubtedly been challenging for us, as with most businesses up and down the country,' said Peter. 'When Boris made the announcement that all pubs and restaurants had to close, we found ourselves with over 100,000 pints of beer with a limited shelf life and no route to market.
'We did a Facebook post offering a safe doorstep delivery service and were overwhelmed by the number of orders that came in, along with numerous messages of support from the local community.
'As lockdown has eased our pubs, hotels and restaurants have gradually re-opened - we are now enjoying working with them once again and also pleased to continue our doorstep delivery service across Torbay and Devon.'
The Torbay Weekly is encouraging donations the zoo appeal fund. We are also looking for people with fund-raising ideas and activities. Please email details to firstname.lastname@example.org