Cheers! Bays Brewery thanks locals for support in ‘sobering’ times
- Credit: Archant
Bosses at a Torbay brewery have thanked the local community for supporting them through 'sobering times' in the coronavirus lockdown - and vowed to help get the Bay's economy back on track.
Peter Salmon, a director of Bays Brewery, said: 'We would like to thank everyone in our local community who has supported us during this time – you really have helped save your local brewery.
'There is no doubt that these tough times will continue but we intend to work hard with our local community and all our clients to bring our fantastic Bay and surrounding area back into flourishing times.'
Bays Brewery has been through quite a transformation in last three months due to Covid-19.
When news of the pandemic and national lockdown hit headlines back in March, the brewery found itself in a sobering situation with more than 100,000 pints of beer with a limited shelf life to shift.
With no route to market, the brewery posted a once-in-a-lifetime offer on Facebook - and the result was phenomenal. They were overwhelmed with the orders that followed along with numerous messages of support and offers of help from the community.
Peter said: 'It took us over a week to fulfil the orders which we worked all hours to process, with family and friends helping along the way.'
- 1 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 2 Decision time for National League clubs
- 3 Former Torbay mayor says Living Coasts site should become a public open space
- 4 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 5 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 6 Nicky tells of battle to pull through after car crash left her in bed for five years
- 7 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 8 Torquay loan goalkeeper from Truro
- 9 New signings wait for Torquay United chance
- 10 MP: Bank closure is blow to Torquay harbourside
The brewery were able to continue trading through their licensed shop and established a new arm to the business with the launch of a home delivery service. This included developing an online shop launched in record time.
With the community pulling together to support local businesses, Bays Brewery decided to expand their range to include other drinks with Hunts Cider, Brixham Gin, Deck Chair Gin, Hattiers Rum, Sharpham Wines and Devon Cove Vodka all on board.
Peter said: 'While challenging times remain ahead, it is reassuring to see some of our trade clients now making a comeback with takeaway services and we are enjoying being available to help them get back on track.'