Changes to Torbay recycling centre booking system
- Credit: Archant
A simplified booking system has been introduced for Torbay recycling centre.
Appointments will still need to be pre-booked as before, but Torbay Council have been working together with TOR2 who provide the service, to streamline the system and cut out a middle stage.
From today (Monday, June 1), you will still need to phone to book a time slot but you will be able to drive straight to the Household Waste and Recycling Centre in Tor Park Road, Paignton, at your allotted time rather than having to wait at Quay West car park as was previously the case.
If you turn up without a pre-booked appointment you will be turned away, so it is essential to book. It is currently a Monday to Friday service.
Social distancing will still need to be maintained at all times at the HWRC for both the safety of the operational staff and the residents who wish to make a visit.
Councillor Mike Morey, Cabinet member for infrastructure, environment and culture at Torbay Council, said: 'Since we reopened the recycling centre two weeks ago, the system has worked well but we wanted to streamline the process so we hope this new system will be even more efficient.
'Please remember that just because this and some other services have reopened, this does not mean that Covid-19 has gone away. Everyone will still need to maintain social distancing, so while you can book a slot and take your waste and recycling there, you will still need to be careful.
- 1 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 2 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 3 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 4 NL suspension is out of the question
- 5 Gulls going for 'double' after transfer signings
- 6 Midfield decisions for Torquay United
- 7 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 8 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 9 Widow Joan, 87, tells anti-vaxxers: 'Don't be silly'
- 10 Raise a glass for Clint Boulton
'Please also respect staff at the HWRC by keeping your distance and no more than two people per vehicle. You will need to dispose of your own waste and please stay two metres away from others at all times.'
New process for booking a slot at the HWRC:
STEP 1- book a time slot by calling 01803 208777
STEP 2 - drive on to the recycling centre as advised by the member of staff – only two people allowed per car and you must dispose of your own waste.
Please arrive as close to the time you booked as possible to avoid unnecessary queuing on the highway. Please remember that visiting the HWRC during these times will be very different to what you are used to.
As well as needing to book before you visit, please observe the following rules:
• no more than two people per vehicle
• stay two metres apart
• you will need to dispose of your own waste at the HWRC
• please respect staff and keep distance
• no trailers are allowed
• vans should only bring the same quantity as would fit in a family car.
Other services are also available, for example, bulky waste collections, which can be booked by calling 01803 701316.