Changes to Torbay health services during the pandemic
- Credit: Archant
Temporary changes have been made to the way Torbay and South Devon NHS Trust deliver some of their services during the pandemic.
These changes have an impact on patient visiting (including maternity) minor injuries units (MIUs), outpatient appointments and the emergency department.
Visits to all wards at Torbay Hospital and community hospitals have been suspended and there is to be no visiting to the trust's sites except for the four following key groups:
• for children under 18 – one parent will be able to visit and stay, at a time and a length of time arranged with ward staff
• mothers who are expecting in the birthing Unit - one birth partner permitted only when in labour
• one relative/carer can stay if approaching end of life
• those with needs, such as dementia or learning disability or other care needs, can have a carer/loved one visit.
- 1 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 2 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 3 NL suspension is out of the question
- 4 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 5 Gulls going for 'double' after transfer signings
- 6 Midfield decisions for Torquay United
- 7 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 8 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 9 Widow Joan, 87, tells anti-vaxxers: 'Don't be silly'
- 10 Raise a glass for Clint Boulton
If you do need emergency care the advice from the Hospital is do visit the emergency department or call 999 but be aware there will be changes.
As part of the coronavirus precautions, you will be greeted at the main desk by one of the nurses who will ask some basic screening questions and check your temperature.
If this is all clear, you will be booked into the Emergency Department as normal.
But if you exhibit symptoms, you will be given a mask and booked in before being directed to a dedicated assessment clinic.
MINOR INJURIES UNITS
While the pandemic is ongoing the trust has taken the decision to operate minor injury services at only Newton Abbot Hospital.
Dawlish and Totnes MIUs are temporarily closed.
Newton Abbot MIU is open 8am to 8pm every day of the week and are providing a full service.
The trust is also asking that if you have an outpatient appointment please do not attend. Your appointments are being clinically reviewed by the appropriate specialist and unless your appointment is essential, it may be replaced with a non-face to face appointment, like a telephone or video
consultation. It may also be re-arranged for a later date.
If your appointment is deemed to be essential the trust will contact you.