Care worker Lucy Till’s vital role looking after vulnerable Torbay people
- Credit: Archant
Care workers across Torbay are carrying out the vital role looking after the elderly and vulnerable in the community.
One of them is 19-year-old Lucie Till, from Torquay, who has been visiting 20 people a day and helping with personal care, washing and dressing as well as making meals and giving medication.
She explained how she and her colleagues from Quality Care are supporting their clients in Torquay, Paignton and Newton Abbot, during the pandemic.
She said: 'Some of the clients are coping but others with dementia and mental health issues are struggling because they don't understand what's going on.
'We are going into their homes wearing face masks so we have to explain we have to protect ourselves to be able to carry on working. But they can't see all of my face so they may not recognise me. And they can't see their families so we provide what support we can, even if it's a cup of tea and a chat.'
Some carers have been going in and helping setting up Facetime chats so the clients can see their relatives as well as speaking to them over the phone.
The team is under more pressure as some are having to self-isolate so they are short-staffed.
- 1 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 2 United heading into the future
- 3 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 4 Princess curtain to rise after 509 days in the darkness
- 5 Majestic opportunities for a new career choice
- 6 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
- 7 Gulls delighted with first crowd of the summer
- 8 'Pinged' Gulls trio out of action
- 9 Praise for Sonny after he plays key role in senior debut for Somerset
- 10 Spacious, family home in ideal location close to schools, shops and beaches
Lucie said: 'It's a very rewarding job, I wouldn't do it otherwise. We are working well as a team and supporting each other as best we can.
'Everyone is so thankful for what we are doing and the clients are so happy to be able to see someone.'
Proud mum Becky Alford contacted Torbay Weekly to nominate her daughter as one of the Bay's heroes.
She said: 'I'd like to salute my daughter Lucie who is a carer working with vulnerable and elderly people in their own homes.
'She's so dedicated and caring and working hard to ensure that they are all looked after.
'When I clap for carers every Thursday night I think of her as well.'
Lucie, who has been a care worker for two years, says they have enough protective equipment such as gloves for now but it is a struggle to source supplies.