Call for good neighbours to help with Torbay recovery from coronavirus pandemic
- Credit: Archant
The Torbay Community Coronavirus Helpline has launched a search for good neighbours who have gone the extra mile during the coronavirus crisis.
Hundreds of people have volunteered to help their neighbours during the crisis and more than 50 set up their own good neighbour schemes, forging new friendships and looking after the most vulnerable people in the Bay.
Tracey Cabache, community development manager at the Torbay Community Development Trust, said: 'We have seen so many acts of kindness during this crisis with neighbours looking out for each other - shopping, collecting prescriptions and ringing each other.
'We knew we had strong and resilient communities in the Bay but even we have been surprised by how strong they have proved to be.
'We want to build on that and encourage people to keep on looking after each other.
'For some, the lockdown will not be lifted completely for some time yet and they will continue to rely on the kindness of others.'
TCDT has teamed up with the Co-op to offer up to 12 cream teas for the winning entries in Brixham, Paignton and Torquay to share (socially distanced) between neighbours for the best stories submitted.
- 1 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Cyclists off to Scotland in support of 'super vet' star
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Sally Allen: When is a woman not a woman?
- 6 Basketball: Torbay Tigers back to winning ways
- 7 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 8 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 9 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 10 Retro Sport: Lottery winner's cricket ambition that money couldn't buy
To enter, share stories, pictures or artwork on Facebook @Torbaycdt or drop them into your local Torbay branch of the Co-op.
Deadline for entries is Monday, June 22.
Moving forward, Torbay Community Development Trust is inviting people to join its Good Neighbours Network.
The trust is looking for neighbours who want to pull together the people in their street - or section of street, or block - to make a good recovery, linking people safely together to take us through the next stage of the coronavirus and beyond.
TCDT will provide good neighbours with information and advice, and a community builder to help them make the most of the opportunities on their street.
The network will help TCDT share all of the great ideas that are bubbling up in our communities.
To join the network, log on to https://bit.ly/goodneighbourtorbay or call the helpline on 01803 446022.