Three-day celebration of bards and books
- Credit: Brixham Heritage Museum
A three-day event will provide opportunities for Brixham residents and visitors to engage with poems, poets, and new publications.
Brixham Heritage Museum is hosting Brixham Bards and Books - range of activities each day from Tuesday, June 1, to Thursday, June 3, with the main event held at 2.30pm in the Maritime Gallery.
Samantha Little and John Scotney will appear at the book launch on June 1, where several publications will be released, including the quirky ‘Brixham in 100 Poems’ and ‘Catching the Afterglow – A Celebration of South Devon Women Poets, Past and Present’, both edited by Samantha, the museum’s writer in residence, while former BBC producer John has written ‘The King on the Quay’, a compelling narrative of the landing of Prince William of Orange in 1688.
The following day, June 2, will see the official launch of ‘Squidbox’, where Robert Garnham, well known as the Professor of Whimsey, will read and perform from his collection inspired by the Brixham fishery.
On June 3, Maggie Duffy, renowned folk singer and poet, will perform some of her traditional songs and recount anecdotes from Brixham over the years.
Throughout the event, Torbay actors under the direction of John Miles, will perform around the museum, using monologues and poetry to bring the town’s past alive.
Visitors will also be able to hear recordings of the late William Oxley, accompanied with big screen images that complement his work.
- 1 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 4 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 5 Torquay United penalty order...just in case
- 6 Concentration the key for Torquay United
- 7 Tributes paid to village character Leebo who will be missed by many - but not perhaps some marauding football fans!
- 8 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 9 Congratulations from Clarke
- 10 So much at stake for Torquay United