Boris says thanks to Marldon farm as Christmas arrives at Number Ten
- Credit: Tim Hammond / No10 Downing Street
The 20 ft tall Nordmann Fir transported all the way from Marldon was finally lit up by the Prime Minister Boris Johnson at Number Ten, signalling the start of Christmas.
Marldon Christmas Tree Farm provided the Prime Minister’s Christmas tree this year after winning Champion Christmas Tree Grower of the Year in an annual competition run by the British Christmas Tree Growers Association.
Mr Johnson said: “It is fantastic to welcome the winners of this year’s BCTGA Competition to Downing Street, to light up our tree.
“We’re grateful to those who have helped to decorate Number 10, from those at Marldon Farm in Devon who provided our 20ft Christmas tree to those at Friezeland Christmas Tree Farm in Warwickshire who supplied our wreath.
“Their work is a true testament to all of our growers and producers up and down the UK who work so hard throughout the year to provide us with everything we need to get into the festive spirit.
“Wherever you are this Christmas, I wish you joy and peace, along with health and happiness in the year ahead.”
Sadie Lynes, of Marldon Christmas Tree Farm. said: “To win the opportunity to provide the Christmas Tree for Downing Street is an absolute privilege and makes all the hard work we do throughout the year, worth it. This is a very proud moment for us and marks the start of a very special Christmas that we are all so looking forward after a challenging year.”
- 1 Afghan refugee family move to Torbay after delays
- 2 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
- 3 Tribute to talented artist and craftswoman Mandy, who brought out the best in those she taught
- 4 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 5 Property of the Week: Stunning seaside holiday let property
- 6 Saluting top man 'Skivvo' as he announces he's leaving the Glovers
- 7 Torquay United under-18s triumph over league leaders
- 8 Solar farms are power to council's elbow but don't forget the Gulls - and the archers!
- 9 Fully fit Gulls travel to Altrincham
- 10 Great win on the road for United
We have partnered with the Christmas Tree Farm so you can enjoy a tree from Marldon just like Boris - and with a fiver off at the same time. Just take the voucher below to the farm when buying your tree and redeem your £5 saving offer.