New bid to get stations back on track
- Credit: Ed Oldfield
A campaign is being launched to reopen train stations at Churston and Goodrington.
Anthony Mangnall and Kevin Foster, MPs for Brixham and Torbay, have joined forces to re-apply for the reopening of the stations.
Under the Government’s ‘Restoring your Railway Fund’ resources have been made available to perform feasibility studies into reopening disused railway stations.
Through the Ideas Fund the Government are seeking proposals for projects to restore lost rail connections to communities.
The Department for Transport will fund 75 per cent of costs up to £50,000 for successful proposals to help fund transport and economic studies and help create a business case.
Mr Mangnall said: “Reopening these two stations will stimulate the local economy, remove cars from the road, reduce air pollution, help commuters and tourism and improve transport links.
“In order to submit a strong proposal, it is vital that we gain community support and gauge the views of residents on these proposals.
- 1 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 2 Five new business units planned in coach station overhaul
- 3 Paul Jolly: Smart motorway common sense
- 4 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 5 Our nights of darts, pool and the birth of Torbay's 'ghostbusters'
- 6 Gulls start Trophy journey in Tonbridge
- 7 How studying Neanderthals helps understand the Covid-19 risks
- 8 Rowing: GB rower is guest of honour at presentation night
- 9 Flower meadows get Bay buzzing
- 10 Fostering is ideal for those who want a cat's company but not the full-time commitment
“If there is a positive response, then we will put together a working group and submit a proposal to Government in early March. I hope that as many people as possible will take the opportunity register their views on this matter.’’
The MPs are keen to engage with the wider community to create a localised campaign of support. A local survey will be run from January 26 to February 18 on Mr Mangnall’s website: www.anthonymangnall.co.uk
For those unable to complete an online survey, postal surveys will be distributed by calling 0207 219 5579.
The government has only recently awarded Torbay Council almost £8 million to build a new train station at Edginswell at the ‘gateway’ to Torqua