Bay MP’s appeal to ‘doom-mongers’ after ‘Independence Day’ tour
- Credit: Archant
Bay MP Kevin Foster gives his verdict after 'Independence Day' fact-finding tour
Torbay MP Kevin Foster went on a fact-finding tour on 'Independence Day' to see how the re-opening of the Bay's tourism and hospitality businesses was looking.
He said: 'Most of the businesses are reasonably happy.'
He said some were estimating that trade was between 30 per cent and 50 per cent of what it would be at this time of the year
He said: 'It is not cold and it is not blazing hot. It is not packed but they are getting a reasonable amount of trade.'
Mr Foster said he accepted that some people were still nervous but he appealed for 'common sense'.
'We still have one or two of the doom-mongers who are saying it's going to be terrible,' said Mr Foster. 'The virus is not over and we still have to abide by the rules but on social media they were prophesising doom over a month ago. We do need a balanced approach.'
- 1 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 2 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 3 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 4 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 5 Norrms McNamara: All care staff need to be trained in dementia
- 6 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 7 All go at Rotary club with new president, vaccines, golf and a chicken run!
- 8 Indoor bowls: 'A' team win all four rinks
- 9 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 10 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships