Bay MP’s appeal to ‘doom-mongers’ after ‘Independence Day’ tour
- Credit: Archant
Bay MP Kevin Foster gives his verdict after 'Independence Day' fact-finding tour
Torbay MP Kevin Foster went on a fact-finding tour on 'Independence Day' to see how the re-opening of the Bay's tourism and hospitality businesses was looking.
He said: 'Most of the businesses are reasonably happy.'
He said some were estimating that trade was between 30 per cent and 50 per cent of what it would be at this time of the year
He said: 'It is not cold and it is not blazing hot. It is not packed but they are getting a reasonable amount of trade.'
Mr Foster said he accepted that some people were still nervous but he appealed for 'common sense'.
'We still have one or two of the doom-mongers who are saying it's going to be terrible,' said Mr Foster. 'The virus is not over and we still have to abide by the rules but on social media they were prophesising doom over a month ago. We do need a balanced approach.'
- 1 Jim Parker: We will need sport more than ever if and when we ever escape this dreadful pandemic
- 2 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 3 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 4 Notts County 0 Torquay United 0
- 5 New owners plan takeaway menu until Paignton cafe can open
- 6 NL suspension is out of the question
- 7 Gary Johnson pleased with the point
- 8 Why assistant Aaron is an exception in more ways than one!
- 9 Berry Head coastguard team rescues one of its own members!
- 10 Mum Abi battles through tough times thanks to her children - and writing