Bay NHS Trust wins top award for caring for carers
- Credit: Submitted
Torbay's NHS Trust has proved it cares for carers.
The Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust is one of only two to be recognised with an award for supporting staff members who care for someone outside of work.
It has gained the Carer Confident Employer, Level 2 ‘Accomplished’ Award which demonstrates the high level of support available to the many staff members who, alongside their job, care for a family member or friend with long term physical or mental ill health, disability, or have problems related to old age.
The Trust’s staff survey in 2021 showed that more than 1 in 3 of staff are caring for a family member or friend, not including childcare.
In recent years, staff have been able to access a carers’ health and wellbeing check in their workplace and during work time.
During the pandemic, an online staff carers’ forum was started to make sure that staff could easily talk to someone about their caring role and to access any support required.
The award sends a strong message that the Trust is a welcoming and supportive employer for those with caring responsibilities, and is always striving to improve.
- 1 Wrong red for Wrexham
- 2 FA Cup defeat creates two-week break for Gulls
- 3 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 4 Casting announced for The Osmonds: A New Musical at Princess Theatre
- 5 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 6 Kelly’s 100 miles for Breast Cancer awareness
- 7 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 8 Torquay United gaffer and players give Community Day a 'big thumbs up'
- 9 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 10 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
Deborah Kelly, Chief Nurse for Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We have so many staff who juggle working with caring for someone, and we are always trying to improve our support to them. There was a detailed assessment by Employers for Carers, so it was a significant accomplishment to achieve Level 2.”
Katy Heard, Carers Lead for Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, said: “The Trust published its Commitment to Carers in November with a commitment to becoming a carer-friendly employer, so we are delighted to have achieved this before Carers Week in June.
“From 7 – 13 June the Trust will be running events for unpaid carers during Carers Week across Torbay and are also encouraging any staff carers to make themselves known to their managers to ensure that they are made aware of the support available."
"Working with you, for you Torbay and South Devon’s Commitment to Carers can be found here: www.icsdevon.co.uk/priorities/carers/.