Residential care home staff ‘deserve our praise, our prayers, our recognition’
- Credit: Archant
Grateful daughter Andrea Rodgers has nominated the entire staff at a Torbay residential care home for a Torbay Weekly 'Our Heroes' award.
Here, Andrea tells why she believes staff at Bascombe Court in Churston are true heroes:
'When a parent, in my case my mum, goes into residential care you have to have trust - trust that your parent will be looked after with the utmost love and care.
'My mum, Jean, has Alzheimer's and has been in residential care for more than six years.
'She has been at her present care home, Bascombe Court in Churston, for almost four years. This care home is truly wonderful and more like a four-star hotel.
'And during lockdown, all the staff led by the manager Kerry Osman have been and continue to be simply outstanding.
'There was an early Lockdown more than 13 weeks ago now. A scary time for so many around the world. For us as family, not being able to see mum was pure torture - but no little problem has been too much for staff.
- 1 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 2 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 3 NL suspension is out of the question
- 4 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 5 Gulls going for 'double' after transfer signings
- 6 Decision time for National League clubs
- 7 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 8 Former Torbay mayor says Living Coasts site should become a public open space
- 9 Midfield decisions for Torquay United
- 10 Torquay loan goalkeeper from Truro
'Phone calls and Facetime were arranged, as the time of not seeing mum dragged and all the family were sick with worry about how mum would cope. Would she still recognise us after such a long time, was a question we all asked when we spoke together as family members?
'In the last ten days our prayers and trust have been answered, as now Bascombe Court is arranging individual, socially distant visits in their beautiful gardens.
'We need not have worried. Mum looked great - in no small part to the very deep trusting and loving relationship she has with all the staff.
'These people, all the staff at Bascombe Court, are true heroes. They need our praise, our prayers, our recognition.
'So thank you from the bottom of our hearts from her four children, six grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.'
• The Our Heroes initiative, in partnership with Majestic Holidays, is a way of recognising those people who have gone out of their way to help others in the pandemic. If there is someone or an organisation you would like to nominate, just send the details of who and why and a photograph to firstname.lastname@example.org