Barbers sharpen scissors for 24-hour Rowcroft fundraiser
- Credit: SUBMITTED
A barber and his colleagues are set to raise money for Rowcroft Hospice by cutting hair non-stop for 24 hours.
George Thomas and his will be doing the charity fundraiser at The Groom Room in Queen Street, Newton Abbot, from 8am on Saturday (May 29) until 8am on Sunday (May 30).
George said: "I chose to do the fundraiser for Rowcroft as they mean a massive amount to me, my family, my friends and nearly everyone I’ve spoken to about the event.
"Rowcroft have helped out so much in so many different aspects of people’s lives and they’ve made a real difference and have made a lot of peoples lives easier.
"The reason that I have set up this fundraiser was because I wanted to give back to Rowcroft as they’re a local charity that have done a lot of work for the people around me.
"Last year, my best friend Charlie Pearson's mum, Kathy Pearson, was suffering with terminal cancer which really affected my friend's family and took its inevitable toll on them.
"And that’s where Rowcroft came and helped. They gave her the best end to her life that she could have asked for and they provided so much help for the family, which took a lot of pressure off them and made what is such a difficult time, a lot easier. Unfortunately, Kathy passed away on June 14, 2020.
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 3 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 7 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 8 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 9 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 10 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
"I wanted to do something to honour her so I’ve decided to do this fundraiser and raise some money for an incredible local charity."
Donations to The Groom Room's fundraiser can be made through their JustGiving page (search for 'George Thomas barbering') and also collection pots set up in the shop.
George said: "Every single donation is greatly appreciated and will make a massive difference in supporting this fantastic charity that do so much for everyone in the local community."