Stars of Bay's tourism world give industry much-needed boost
- Credit: Submitted
Torbay's battered tourism industry has been given a much-needed boost.
The hospitality sector has lost millions of pounds business in successive Covid lockdowns and there is so far no hint of a re-opening date with Easter looming.
But local businesses have featured strongly in a list of shortlisted or commended entries in the virtual 2020 Devon Tourism Awards.
Carolyn Custerson, chief executive of the English Riviera BID Company, said: "The success is great publicity for the resort with winners in so many different categories. I am really proud of what you have achieved in what has been an unbelievably difficult time with COVID-19. To win an award this time is really special. We will celebrate as soon as possible.”
Local finalists or commended were:
CAFÉ/TEAROOM OF THE YEAR - Finalists: Fishcombe Cove Café, Brixham; Curious Kitchen, Brixham
CASUAL DINING AWARD - Finalists: Cary Arms & Spa, Torquay
- 1 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 2 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 3 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 4 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 5 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 6 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 7 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 8 Feline Network Cat Rescue: Can you offer a home to a golden oldie?
- 9 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 10 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
DOG FRIENDLY BUSINESS OF THE YEAR - Finalists: Shoreline, Paignton
HOLIDAY PARK OF THE YEAR - Commended: Hoburne Devon Bay, Paignton; South Bay Holiday Park, Brixham
LARGE HOTEL OF THE YEAR - Finalists: Lincombe Hall Hotel & Spa, Torquay.
Commended: Headland Hotel & Spa, Torquay.
NEW TOURISM BUSINESS AWARD - Finalists: Brasserie at the Bay, Torquay.
SMALL HOTEL OF THE YEAR - Finalists: Cary Arms & Spa, Torquay
Commended - Haytor Hotel, Torquay.
SPA & WELLBEING EXPERIENCE OF THE YEAR - Finalists: Lincombe Hall Hotel, Torquay.
UNSUNG HERO AWARD - Clive Simmons, Palace Theatre, Paignton;
Other South Devon nominees included the Stover Country Park and Local Nature Reserve at Newton Abbot in the Accessible and Inclusive, the Angel – Taste of Devon at Dartmouth in the Top Restaurant category and Pennywell Farm at Buckfastleigh for Best Visitor Attraction.
Naomi Hunt (Powderham Castle) and Sereny Damon( Dartmouth Steam Railway, Dartmouth ) were also recognised in the Unsung Hero award and in the BUSINESS LEADER OF THE YEAR category there were finalists nominations for Chris Murray at Pennywell Farm and Dick Wood from the South Devon Railway, Buckfastleigh.
Finalists will find out whether they have won Gold, Silver, Bronze or a Special awards on the awards day scheduled for March 11.