Shop local to support community and enjoy fresher food
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
At Bay Deliveries, you'll continuously hear us banging the drum of 'shop local' because it's so important.
When you buy local, or even, preferably, 'ultra-local' more money stays within our area and allows these local, often family-run companies to grow, build and invest back into the community through jobs and spending, not to mention the environmental benefit of reducing food miles.
Why spend time, money and diesel transporting products from all around the country when you get the same thing often fresher and cheaper from just down the road and help a local business while you're at it?
An example of this is Halletts the bakers in Paignton – we don't offer any of the big brands on our site such as Hovis and so far, no-one has requested it – instead, they're buying all of their bread from Halletts - a local business employing local people that spend money within the community.
I want to share a customer conversation I had this week which I hope will sway a few more to shop local. I was asked why we don't offer early morning deliveries: it's about freshness.
A supermarket picks fruit and vegetables on many criteria, including how long it can be stored for and how well it travels.
According to The Daily Telegraph, broccoli from Spain is transported c,1000 miles under refrigerated conditions which has such an impact on nutrients that experts claim that frozen vegetables, like peas, are often healthier.
- 1 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 2 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 3 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 4 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 5 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 6 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 7 National League round-up
- 8 All aboard the Land train for lots of fun - and a history lesson or two!
- 9 I hope formality is put aside and the Queen is able to grieve for Prince Philip
- 10 An ideal family home or investment purchase
In comparison, Bay Deliveries is working with Frank H Mann who work hand in hand with local farmers ensuring we can get local produce to customers within a 24 hours, keeping the 'field to plate' time window as short as possible.
For produce coming from further afield, it's typically bought by Frank H Mann at around 3am in a Bristol market, is with us before 10am, and our vans start delivering from 11am.
As with other local businesses, we don't store fresh food overnight - meaning customers get food that isn't just labelled fresh, but genuinely is fresh!
We'll bang that drum again: 'Shop Local' - to not only support the local community but also get a superior taste and fresher food!