Aldi targets new stores across Torbay and South Devon
- Credit: Aldi
Aldi has announced it is on the lookout for 22 new store locations in Devon -including locations across Torbay and South Devon.
The UK’s fifth largest supermarket has been on an expansion drive in recent years, opening around one new store a week on average to meet demand from new customers.
The areas across the county where it is now looking for sites include Brixham, Paignton and Torquay.
Aldi says it is also looking for new store locations in the Newton Abbot, Teignmouth, Totnes and Kingsbridge areas.
The company, which now has more than 900 stores across the UK, is looking for freehold town-centre or edge-of-centre sites suitable for development.
It says each site should be around 1.5 acres and able to accommodate a 20,000 sq ft store with around 100 parking spaces, ideally on a prominent main road and with good visibility and access.
Ciaran Aldridge, national property director at Aldi UK, said: “We have been investing in Britain for more than 30 years now, but we know that there are still areas that either do not have an Aldi at all, or that need another store to meet customer demand.
- 1 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 2 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 3 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 4 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 5 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 6 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 7 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 8 Feline Network Cat Rescue: Can you offer a home to a golden oldie?
- 9 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 10 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
“Shoppers are increasingly looking to get unbeatable prices on their weekly shop without compromising on quality.
"That’s why, more so than ever, we’re keen to explore all opportunities to open new stores across the country.”
The full list of locations it is targeting in Devon are: Axminster, Barnstaple, Braunton, Brixham, Crediton, Dawlish, Exeter, Exmouth, Ilfracombe, Ivybridge, Kingsbridge, Newton Abbot, Paignton, Plymouth, Plymstock, Seaton, Sidmouth, Tavistock, Teignmouth, Tiverton, Torquay and Totnes.