Activities celebrate contribution that carers make to communities
- Credit: Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust
A range of online and live sessions for family members and friends who support someone with health or care needs has been organised to take place during Carers Week 2021.
The events, organised by Torbay Carers' Service, aim to provide plenty of opportunities for local unpaid carers to enjoy fun, educational and social activities.
Carers Week – which runs from June 7 to 13 – is an annual campaign which raises awareness of unpaid caring.
It aims to highlight the challenges carers face and recognise the contribution they make to families and communities across the country. The theme for 2021 is ‘Making Caring Visible & Valued’.
The sessions available range from arts and craft activities such as mosaic and wax melts workshops, to fitness sessions and cooking classes.
Carers will also be able to enjoy organised outdoor activities such as pitch and putt and a trip on the Dartmouth Steam Railway.
Katy Heard, carers and volunteers lead at Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Torbay Carers' Service, said: “Carers Week is a fantastic opportunity to recognise the contribution that carers make to our communities.
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 3 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 7 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 8 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 9 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 10 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
"We hope to also make the wider public realise that they may be carers too, and to make themselves ‘visible’ by linking in with the wide range of support that is available to them throughout the year.
“Torbay Carers Service has a wonderful array of Carers’ Week activities that offer important opportunities for carers in our community.
"The programme is designed to be flexible, with carers encouraged to take part where they feel comfortable. This may be online events from the comfort of their own homes, live events in person, or both!
“We hope that these sessions give carers a break from their caring role and also help them appreciate the importance of their contributions to our families, communities and wider society.”
Carers will need to register their interest for the events by tomorrow (Friday, May 7). The programme of activities and can be found in the spring 2021 brochure of Signposts for Carers. Alternatively, call 01803 666620 for a form.
For more information on support available, contact Signposts for Carers by phone on 01803 666620.