24-hour low-cost gym planned for Torbay
- Credit: The Signage & Display Co/The Gym
Torbay looks set to get a new low-cost 24-hour gym with the opening of a branch of national chain The Gym in Paignton.
It is planning to set up in the Devonshire Retail Park off Long Road, Paignton, next to The Range.
The nearest premises currently run by the group are in Plymouth and Exeter.
Details emerged of the plans in documents submitted to Torbay Council for permission for signs on the building.
The company’s website says its gyms open 24 hours a day and prices start from £10.99 a month depending on the location.
Access is gained using a unique pin number at the entrance.
The Gym says it does not tie customers into a contract and they can cancel at any time.
- 1 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 4 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 5 Torquay United penalty order...just in case
- 6 Concentration the key for Torquay United
- 7 Tributes paid to village character Leebo who will be missed by many - but not perhaps some marauding football fans!
- 8 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 9 Congratulations from Clarke
- 10 So much at stake for Torquay United
Every new member is offered a free 60-minute induction with an accredited instructor.
The company says its low-cost business model operates without on-site reception and administration staff.
It says on its website: “The emergence and growth of the low cost gym market can be attributed to harsh economic times, an increasingly competitive market and a consumer demand for value for money.”
It adds: “Meeting member service, cleanliness and safety expectations are core values.”
The company says surveys show it is attracting new groups to the fitness sector including shift workers, students, retired people and low income groups.
The Gym Group was founded in 2008 by John Treharne, a former England squash player, with its first sites in London.
The group floated on the Stock Exchange in 2015, raising £125million from investors to fund its growth strategy.
The prospect of another new gym for Torbay follows an announcement by PureGym about a branch due to open in late summer in the Bridge Retail Park off Hele Road in Torquay.