Hat-trick of red cards as sides battle it out in George Belli Cup

Torbay Weekly

The weather did its best to disrupt the SDFL programme, but a handful of games did go ahead, and provided plenty of goals and incident.

The George Belli (Premier Division) Cup quarter-finals were a case in point, with Newton Abbot '66 and East Allington both booking their places in the semi-finals after close-fought five goal thrillers.

The Sixes and the Windmill went into their clash at Osborne Park as the two form sides in the division. By the end of 90 minutes, the sides were still locked together with two goals apiece, Jordan Pidwell and Keran Fletcher scoring for the hosts, and Andrew Parker and Rhys Walton on target for the visitors. Gordon Stevenson clinched the extra-time winner, but the goals were only half the story, because The Windmill ended the game with nine men, Andrew Crowmac and Ashley Walker both seeing red.

A red card also affected proceedings at Malborough Playing Fields as Salcombe Town bowed out 3-2 to East Allington United with Kieran Stallard's dismissal a big blow for the Crabs. Jack Ward and Ashley Yeoman scored for the home side, but Finley Bullen put away a hat-trick for the Pirates to see them through.

There were no games at all in the Torbay Clearance Services SDFL Premier Division, but Waldon Athletic came from behind at home to Harbertonford to go top of Division One. Jordan Baggott's brace helped Fords into a 2-1 half-time lead at Windmill Hill, Ajay Tehrani with the Clarets' strike. But a Lewis Eaton double and a goal from Ashley Harris saw Waldon turn the tables in the second half.

They will have their work cut out to beat Paignton Saints to the title though, because Saints are just two points behind with three games in hand. Saints also progressed straight through to the semi-finals of the Dartmouth (Division One) Cup, thanks to a four goal blast from Jake Powell. All four were needed to dispatch Beesands Rovers, who managed three goals at Coach Road. Although this was a First Round game, Saints' quarter-final opponents Ashburton have withdrawn from the league, giving them a bye.

The potential for a Paignton derby in the final is still alive as Paignton Villa made short work of their quarter-final tie against Buckfastleigh Rangers Reserves, scoring six without reply. Tom Parvin celebrated a hat-trick for the home side. Also through to the final four are Chudleigh Athletic, Jack Morrison with a double as the Senior Cup finalists won 6-3 at Upton Athletic.

Newton Rovers missed out on the chance of going third in Division Two, as they lost out 2-1 at Watcombe Wanderers Reserves, Toby Woodmore and Zack Chalmers-Wood with the goals. Nigel Vass was on target for Rovers.

Torquay Town continue to fight on three fronts as they knocked Stoke Gabriel and Torbay Police Reserves out of the Lidstone (Division Two) Cup with a 4-1 victory at the Hive. They will be joined in the semi-finals by East Allington United Reserves who narrowly beat Babbacombe Corinthians at Poole Lane. Eight goals were shared between the sides in the first 90 minutes, with another goal apiece scored in extra-time. The game was finally decided on penalties with the Pirates progressing.

Liverton United Reserves cruised into the semi-finals of the Ronald (Division Three) Cup with a hefty 10-1 triumph at bottom club Broadhempston United. Things were much closer at Michael's Field where Kingsbridge and Kellaton United defeated Bishopsteignton United 3-2.

Discoveries Devon played their penultimate game in their first season in the SDFL, and the Division Four side still seek their first win after a resounding 8-2 loss, Ashley Dove and Ollie Kewell with hat-tricks apiece. South Brent scored twice and kept a clean sheet at Barton Athletic Thirds to progress to the semi-finals of the Les Bishop (Division Four) Cup. They will be joined by Brixham Town Reserves who go through due to Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves being unable to raise a side.