'400 years a blacksmith' was the intriguing title of a talk to a Torquay club delivered by a granddad and his grandson.
Alastair Taylor explained all with the help of grandson Alfie to the Babbacombe and St Marychurch Probus Club where Alastair is chairman.
The talk was based on his own family's history which has been traced back 1667 when his ancestor, a Mr Sellars, opened a blacksmith's shop in the village of Drummuir in the Botriphnie area of Banffshire in Scotland - the shop still stands to this day.
In 1828 one of the descendants, James Sellars, made gates for the parish church which are also still there today.
In 1835, the by-now flourishing firm of George Sellars & Sons, makers of horse-drawn ploughs, branched out into making bicycles and in 1881 made one of the first famous penny-farthings.
Robert H N Sellars was then head of the company and throughout his life held many public offices. On behalf of his company, Sellars' Ploughs, he travelled the world selling his company's products.
He died in 1918 and around that time the company had moved to Alloa employing around 200 people.
In 1987 it amalgamated with German agricultural giants Claas.
The history is 'something of which Alastair and Alfie can be extremely proud of'.
The vote of thanks for the talk was given by Eric Walkom
Torbay Weekly Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.