Divisional cup tournament games brought forward for Duke's funeral

Torbay Weekly

In line with FA instructions, the TCS South Devon Football League divisional cup tournament games were brought forward last Saturday afternoon.

After missing a hatful of chances in their opening game, Torbay Police were hoping to be more clinical in their Manor Building Company Premier Cup Group A game at Meadowbrook Athletic.

Things were looking promising for the Bees when Zac Chancellor was upended in the box and Oakley Hunt successfully dispatched the penalty kick after just ten minutes.

With Sam Chorley and Bobby Chancellor looking dangerous up front, the Police looked most likely to score next but it was Brook who made the most of their chances with goals either side of half time from Myles Chalcraft and Thomas Comyn, 2-1 the final score.

Watts Blake Bearne made a winning start to their Group B campaign with a 1-0 victory at Plympton Athletic Reserves, Luke Pellowe with the decider.

The only other Premier Division Cup game was at Poole Lane where East Allington United got their first points on the board with a 2-1 win over Ivybridge Town Reserves in Group D. Finley Bullen scored twice for the Pirates to make it three goals in two games for him.

Ashburton made it two wins out of two in the Francis Clark Division One Cup as they enjoyed a 3-1 home victory over Beesands Rovers. Callum Noyce struck twice and ack White found the net for the Ashes with Lewis Foot putting away the Bees' consolation. In the other Group B game, Grant Fisher and Aaron Knapman celebrated goals as Abbotskerswell pulled off a narrow 2-1 win at Kingskerswell and Chelston, Lewis Cooper with a goal for the hosts.

Chudleigh Athletic Reserves head Group A courtesy of a midweek draw and a home walkover.

A brace from Alastair Chuchuck and a Benjamin Hamilton-Hill goal saw Chudleigh earn a share of the spoils against visiting Kingsteignton Athletic Reserves on Tuesday, April 13. Harry Payne, Daniel Eustice and Jason Jones netted for the Rams. On Saturday, Harbertonford were unable to raise a side with Chudleigh duly benefiting from three points.

In Group A of the Bettesworth Estate Agents Division Two Cup, Torquay Town put in a battling defensive performance against a technically superior Ipplepen Athletic Reserves to earn a deserved point at Moor Road. After taking a first half lead, the visitors fought off a series of determined attacks before succumbing to a penalty goal on the hour mark after a handball in the box. Town received a further blow, six minutes from time, after a player was sent off for a second yellow but they held on to maintain their unbeaten start.

Newton Rovers got off to a winning start in Group B as goals from Curtis Bond and Nigel Vass brought them a 2-0 victory at Broadhempston United. Ilsington Villa rediscovered their shooting boots at Bishopsteignton United. Two goals from Dan Langford and singles from Jack Langford and Thomas Rush led Ilsington to a 4-2 triumph at Michael's Field.

There was plenty of action in the Coast and Country Estate Agents Division Three Cup with five games going ahead. Brixham Town and South Brent lead the way in Group A after successive wins. Town scored twice at Teign Village through Stuart Pointon and Daniel Tucker and also kept another clean sheet. Brent went one better with a 3-0 home win over Kingsteignton Athletic Thirds.

Totnes and Dartington Reserves also added to their winning start by beating Kingsbridge and Kellaton United 4-1 at the Loddiswell Playing Fields. This week's hat-trick hero was Scott Troth with Jake Osman also netting for Tots.

The other Group B game saw 11 goals scored as Chudleigh Athletic Thirds grabbed the three points at Torquay Town Reserves, Christian Williams with a hat-trick in a 6-5 triumph.

In Group C, Babbacombe Corinthians Reserves bounced back from their opening day defeat as they beat Newton Rovers Reserves 2-0 at Bakers Park, a second consecutive home loss for Rovers.